Job posting: Translator
MAIN AREAS OF FOCUS
Persian to English Translation, Proofreading, Editing
You’ll be responsible for translating a variety of materials including legal reports, press releases, reports, website, and advertising copy, and social media posts from Persian into English. You’ll work with all the teams at United for Iran (U4I) but will collaborate most closely with the Iran Prison Atlas (IPA) team on the prisoner, prisons, and judges profiles. Your translations will be invaluable and often cited by the media and funders, quoted in statements, and incorporated into legislation, which means that you’ll have a hand in influencing beliefs, behaviors, and policies in Iran. You’ll report to the Senior Communications Manager, be part of the Communications team and work with the Programs team.
- Produces accurate and complete translations in the English language, using the most appropriate vocabulary and the commonly accepted equivalents of professional, legal, or technical terms.
- Translates all U4I collateral by staying faithful to the original copy, respecting the established terminology, and ensuring that the copy is readily understood.
- Collaborates with the text writer to clarify the meaning of terms & expressions.
- In collaboration with the text writer, the IPA Manager and the IPA Translators conducts terminological research using appropriate tools.
- Meets deadlines while maintaining a high degree of quality.
- Collaborates with the Media and Communications Assistant to make sure that all prisoner profiles, research reports, briefing documents, and web content is proofread, accurate, timely, and ready for publication.
- Collaborates with the Media and Communications Assistant to ensure that academic content and complex data are communicated accurately, succinctly, and elegantly on each communication platform and for each target audience.
- Collaborates with the Communications team to make sure that all translations follow U4I’s brand, tone of voice, personality, and style guidelines.
- Maintains a style guide of acceptable terminology in Persian and in English.
- Stays up to date on Iranian human rights issues, attends training, and continues to educate themselves on issues related to IPA’s work including Iranian and international law, human rights in Iran, research, and evidence-based advocacy.
- On rare occasions, acts as an interpreter.
- Perfect command of the English language along with a thorough knowledge of its syntax and stylistics; excellent knowledge of Persian.
- Ability to translate a broad range of political, social, economic, human rights, public policy, and legal statements.
- Strong attention to detail and strong proofreading skills.
- Strong communication skills in Persian and English.
- Proficiency with Google Drive applications and with Microsoft products.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve translation and communications goals.
- Willingness to keep abreast of new developments in their profession.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Your salary will be commensurate with your experience. U4I staff enjoys generous benefits including unlimited paid time off and parental leave, teleworking options, and flexible schedules, all while taking pride in meaningful work with a critical social mission.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume along with translation samples in both English and Persian to email@example.com