Job posting: Senior Communications Manager
MAIN AREA OF FOCUS
Branding, Strategy, Copywriting, Email Marketing, Creative Direction
San Francisco Bay Area is preferred. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. or have an existing U.S. work permit.
You’ll be responsible for leading all branding and communications efforts on behalf of United for Iran (U4I), including engaging and growing the audience for its IranCubator social-good apps, the Iran Prison Atlas and other human rights and civil liberties initiatives. You’ll create stories and narratives to promote the work of United for Iran as well as to garner attention, support, and resources needed to continue funding human rights and civic tech innovations in Iran.
As the Senior Communications Manager, you’ll report to the Executive Director and will be responsible for growing U4I’s brand recognition through media relations and social media, expanding U4I’s thought leadership, and launching creative advocacy campaigns that advance civil liberties and human rights in Iran. You’re equally skilled in both communications strategy and execution and can effortlessly switch from setting U4I’s yearly communications strategy to writing an email blast and chatting with a member of the press. You’ll manage three staff members including the Communications Manager, Social Media Assistant, and Translator.
Strategy and Leadership (40%)
- Manages and updates U4I’s brand strategy, crafts and manages U4I’s brand story and ensures brand consistency and quality at every touchpoint.
- Sets, manages and updates the U4I’s communications strategy, including plans for media relations, digital communications, social media, and events.
- Consults and collaborates with the Leadership Team on setting U4I’s communications strategy.
- Creates high level messages for U4I, its projects, programs and initiatives.
- Sets content strategy for U4I’s digital and print fundraising campaigns.
- Builds and optimizes processes, systems and workflows that make day-to-day communications activities and collaborating with other teams more effective.
- Oversees the creation and revision of team’s roles and responsibilities, work plans, and yearly goals, and other management and evaluation systems.
- Manages and cultivates the career development of communications staff members.
- Manages and oversees the work of PR consultants, designers and developers.
Content Creation, Email Marketing, Copywriting, PR (60%)
- Acts as chief storyteller, researching and writing everything from op-eds and blog posts to email blasts, talking points, annual reports and media statements.
- Acts as managing editor, reviewing and editing all public-facing communications materials before they are published online or in print.
- Manages a consulting media relations firm, and supports them in writing press releases and pitches to the members of the media.
- Builds brand awareness for U4I using various strategies including content marketing, email marketing, public relations, social media and events.
- Develops and executes memorable digital campaigns and IRL events that raise the visibility of U4I, its programs, and human rights issues and concerns in Iran.
- Supports the executive director and the leadership team in securing public speaking engagements and collaborates with staff members to write speeches.
- Works with Development to create engaging and memorable fundraising materials.
- Along with the Executive Director, develops and manages U4I’s tone of voice, personality and unique point of view and communicates them consistently to the public through all communications channels.
- Acts as one of the key spokespersons for U4I, in particular with English media.
- Oversees U4I’s social media and influencer strategy.
- Creates and manages U4I’s communications calendar.
- Oversees U4I’s creative design process from concept to completion of all communications collateral, including videos, microsites, brochures, annual reports, and web banners.
- 5+ years of experience in communications or digital marketing roles with a proven track record of raising awareness for social justice causes.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as journalism, public relations, communications, or political science.
- Excellent writing, presentation, problem-solving, and project-management skills
- Proven results in creating and implementing communications strategic plans.
- Passion for storytelling and communicating complex concepts simply and effectively to a variety of audiences including activists, donors, and policymakers.
- Familiarity with communication technologies—including social media platforms and tools, CMSs like WordPress and CRMs—and best practices.
- Highly skilled multitasker with a demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while managing deadlines.
- Fluent in English (Persian proficiency is a plus).
- Passion for human rights activism and commitment to civil liberties in Iran.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
$65,000-$80,000. The salary range is wide to accommodate candidates who may have less experience but great potential. U4I staff enjoys generous benefits including unlimited paid time off and parental leave, teleworking options, and flexible schedules, all while taking pride in meaningful work with a critical social mission.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your brief cover letter, resume and a couple of writing samples to email@example.com. Writing samples with both content (e.g, OpEd, email, newsletter) and strategy (e.g, comms strategy for a year) are preferred.
Deadline to apply: December 31, 2022