Job Posting: Iran Human Rights Barometer Data Assistant
MAIN AREAS OF FOCUS
Data Analysis, Research, Persian Partner Relationships.
The Iran Human Rights Barometer (IHRB) project focuses on creating an interactive platform that visualizes the broadest set of human rights indicators from Iran, using Tableau software. The objective of this project is to improve and increase the publicly available data on human rights violations in Iran in an attempt to prevent and respond to human rights abuses.
As a data researcher, you will be responsible for creating multiple data sets from open source data in English and Persian. In a close collaboration with the IHRB Project Coordinator and Tableau Expert and Human Rights team, you will identify reliable data sources and work independently on building data sets. This is a full-time, entry level position, therefore only basic Excel skills are required. Based on your skillset, additional training in data gathering, data cleaning and data visualization will be proposed. You will also be responsible for communication with Persian speaking partners of the project. The IHRB Data Assistant reports to the IHRB Project Coordinator and Tableau Expert, who oversees IHRB. The U4I Program Lead oversees all U4I programs including this project.
- Identifies and vets reliable open data sources related to human rights and Iran.
- Creates clean and Tableau-friendly data sets from identified sources.
- Assesses and cleans data in Persian.
- Collaborates with other team members to collect, process, and understand data that can facilitate project’s needs.
- Proactively communicates findings and issues to the team.
- Communicates with integrity and professionalism with Persian speaking human rights groups.
- Meets deadlines while maintaining a high degree of quality.
- Maintains a style guide of acceptable terminology in Persian and in English.
- Stays up to date on Iranian human rights issues, attends trainings, and continues to educate themselves on related issues.
- Basic to intermediate understanding of data gathering and analysis
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and G-Suite
- Excellent knowledge of Persian and English
- Strong attention to detail and well-organized
- Strong communication skills in Persian and English
- Ability to work independently, ensuring data and metrics are tracked and met
- A strong commitment to social change and access to technology
- A bachelor of arts or science degree in a related discipline, or equivalent years of professional experience, including but not limited to sociology, political sciences, statistics, economics or econometrics
SALARY AND BENEFITS
U4I staff enjoys generous benefits including unlimited paid time off and parental leave, teleworking options, and flexible schedules, all while taking pride in meaningful work with a critical social mission.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume, answers to the questions below, and at least two professional references (please include their name, their professional relationship to you and their email address) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Why are you applying for this position? (word limit 250 words)
- How are you qualified for this position? What relevant experience do you have related to this position? (word limit 500 words)
A cover letter is not required. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
United for Iran values diversity and provides equal opportunities to all people submitting their qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. People of color, LGBTQI+ individuals, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.